The Diocese of Columbus offers four Youth Ministry Certificates
- Introductory Certificate in Youth Ministry--Completion of YML Course 1 and one additional YML Course (either 2, 3, or 4) and Introductory Catechist Certification
- Basic Certificate in Youth Ministry--Completion of YML Courses 1-4, Basic Catechist Certification, and 12 monthly mentor meetings
- Advanced Certificate in Youth Ministry--Completion of YML Courses 1-4 and 4.1.1-4.1.8, Advanced Catechist Certification, 12 monthly mentor meetings, and three Core Competencies Courses.
- Certificate in Pastoral Juvenil Hispana--Completion of PJH Courses 4.2.1-4.2.11.
National Certification as a Youth Ministry Leader
The Diocesan Certificates in Youth Ministry and the certification courses offered by the Diocese are based on the National Certification Standards for Lay Ecclesial Ministers serving as Youth Ministry Leaders, incl. Pastoral Juvenil Hispana, created by the Alliance for the Certification of Lay Ecclesial Ministers and approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Commission on Certification and Accreditation. By completing the requirements for the Diocesan Advanced Certificate in Youth Ministry through the courses offered by the Diocese, or other approved courses, one will have all the core and specialized competencies required to apply for National Certification. The Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry would be happy to assist anyone working toward National Certification, and has laid out a Diocesan Certification Process to help people in these efforts.
Diocesan Certification Courses
Diocesan Youth Ministry Certificates also require Catechist Certification. For a listing of those courses/requirements click here.
Each of the courses listed below are offered as a two-week online course and do not need to be taken in any particular order.
- YML Course 1.0: Introduction to Catholic Youth Ministry
- YML Course 2.0: Adolescent Development and Youth Culture
- YML Course 3.0: Application and Methodology
- YML Course 4.0: Planning, Implementation, and Evaluation
- YML Course 4.1.1&4.1.3: Catechesis and Evangelization
- YML Course 4.1.2&4.1.6: Prayer and Community
- YML Course 4.1.4&4.1.5: Catholic Social Teaching and Pastoral Care
- YML Course 4.1.7&4.1.8: Advocacy and Youth Leadership
- PJH Course 4.2.1-4.2.5: Unity in Communion
- PJH Course 4.2.6-4.2.11: Culture and Tradition
- Core Competencies Course 1.0: Human
- Core Competencies Course 2.0: Spiritual
- Core Competencies Course 4.0: Pastoral
Upcoming Course Offerings
Diocesan Youth Ministry Certificates also require Catechist Certification. For a listing of those courses opportunities click here.
YML Course 3.0: Application and Methodology
February 19 - March 5, 2017
YML Course 3.0 is a two-week online course covering requirements YML 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 on youth ministry methodology and application of theories and resources. Registration for this course will be open in early February. Course 3.0 has two sessions to choose from: a morning session and an evening session. Class size for these two sessions is limited.
Register for Course 3.0
YML Course 4.0: Planning, Implementation, and Evaluation
May 7-21, 2017
YML Course 4.0 is a two-week online course covering requirements YML 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 on engaging the parish in the planning and implementation of youth ministry and evaluation. Registration for this course will be open in April. Course 4.0 has two sessions to choose from: a morning session and an evening session. Class size for these two sessions is limited.
Register for Course 4.0